Guidelines on Applying for Double Major, Fall 2017
Under the University Constitution and Regulations in Chapter 4, Section3, Article 35
Academic Operations Regulation Chapter 6, Section 2, subsection 1 on Double Major
1) Applicants whose 1st major have already been designated are eligible to apply for double major
2) Applicants should have registered for more than 3 semesters.
3) Transfer students can apply after completing a minimum of one semester at Korea University.
4) KU students who are currently registered as of 2017 Spring semester
5) Students who are on leave of absence at the time of (or during) the application period will be disqualified even after being announced as successful applicants.
6) Students who are already in double major, interdisciplinary major, student-designed major and engineering authentication certificate program are NOT eligible to apply unless students withdraw from the program before May 2th, 17:00pm 2017.
7) Application for withdrawal is available at KU Portal. Students in the engineering authentication program should apply directly at their department office for withdrawal.
8) Students who would like to cancel the acceptance of double major and pursue other programs should complete withdrawal procedure. Re-application to the double major can only be accepted once.
9) Failed applicants for double major should pursue a single intensive major.
2. Selection Criteria
1) Generally selection procedure can be based on applicants’ overall GPA, Interview, statement of purpose,..etc. Applications are reviewed by each department that applicants belong to. (Please refer to the attachment 1)
2) Applicants’ overall GPA including F grade is taken into consideration.
3. Application Procedure
Application Period May 10th 10:00 ~ May 12th 17:00pm 2017
Please be advised that applicants should complete online application 1~hours prior to the deadline. Any late application due to technical problem of individual computer is NOT accepted.
4. How to Apply
Online Application at (http://portal.korea.ac.kr)
5. Announcement of Successful Applicants
1) Date of Announcement: June 21th 14:00pm, 2017 (Tentative)
2) Please log in at (http://portal.korea.ac.kr) -> Bulletin->Notice->Undergraduate Schedule
The mandatory regulation of completing a second major is applied to students entering from 2004 onward. Student subject to this regulation must complete one of the followings; 1) intensive major course of first major 2)double major 3) interdisciplinary major 4)student-designed major. Applicant who is transferred with a bachelor’s degree from other universities can choose not to complete a second major.
Intensive major course of 1st major assumes a similar form to the existing single major system.
Among successful applicants, those only who retain the eligibility conditions during the application will be accepted to pursue Double Major from the following semester
Students are NOT allowed to double major in Law School, Department of Computer Science Education, Division of Computer and Communication Engineering, College of Medicine, College of Nursing, Cyber Defense, College of Pharmacy.
Department(s) /School(s) that student can not apply due to abolishment of majors. - College of Health Sciences
College of Health Science students who were admitted as freshman in 2006 ~2013 are NOT eligible to apply double major within the college.
Students from other colleges/schools are limited to 1)Biomedical Engineering 2)Biosystem and Biomedical Science 3)Health and Environmental Science 4)Health and Policy Management within the College of Health Sciences.
Applicants to the business school, college of political science and economics, school of art and design, college of informatics and department of history education must submit ‘Statement of Purpose (study plan)’ of no longer than 1000 words.
Applicants must read carefully all regulations and instructions on Double Major. Refer to attachment 2.
Any questions related to curriculum and credit requirements of completing a double major should be directed to the relevant department or college.
2017. 4. 24.
Academic Administration Division